Stuffed Zucchini in Napoli Sauce
This nourishing vegetarian dish is perfect for cooler weather. It’s also really versatile. You can substitute the lentils with lean beef or turkey mince, use any vegetable combo you like or get creative with the previous night’s leftovers!
3 zucchini (medium to large sized)
1 450g tub Maria’s Traditional Napoli Sauce
400g can of BioNature Organic Lentils (drained)
1 ½ cups Floridia mozzarella cheese
½ cup parmesan cheese
1/2 onion (diced)
2 cloves garlic (crushed)
1/3 cup red capsicum (diced)
1/2 cup mushrooms (diced)
1/4 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes (optional)
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons panko bread crumbs
Salt & Black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; scoop out flesh and seeds with a spoon, leaving approx. ½ cm shell. Lay them out in a 20x30cm baking dish
- Sauté onion and chopped garlic for a couple of minutes until translucent
- Combine cooked onion and garlic with lentils, mushrooms, capsicum, olive oil, parsley, breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese in a bowl. Season to taste with chilli flakes, Italian herbs, salt & pepper and mix together well.
- Divide the mixture evenly into zucchini shells by spooning in and pressing down firmly
- Pour over Napoli Sauce
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and check zucchini is tender. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and bake uncovered for 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
Image by Katarina from www.diethood.com